Quick question... | Forum

advertisement

Topic location: Forum home » Beard Forums » Beard Discussions
Jtowner
Jtowner Jan 9
As my beard grows out should I lower my neck line? I shave with a straight razor and am able to lift my beard out of the way and shave my neck line pretty true to where I started it. My concern is... does this restrict overall length or am I doing what I should? Thanks in advance for the input.
0 0 0
AngryBeardCompany
The 2 most common errors, shaving the neckline too soon, and shaving the neckline too high. Everyone has their own personal preference as to style but "shaving etiquette" states the neckline should go no higher than the top of the adams apple. Depending on the style of beard you are going for it may enhance or hinder the appearance.

1 0 +1
Horsfield2001
Shaving your neck is more of an appearance and personal preference thing. I am of a mind that if you can't see your neck then there's no reason to shave it. It won't hurt or affect anything if you do shave it. I say go with whatever you think looks best. (That's why some guys shave to high)
edited by Horsfield2001 Jan 9
2 0 +2
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Jan 9
I generally keep a neck line after I have enough growth to justify it, then as the beard grows out I'll maintain it. Once the beard starts getting to the point where it covers the neck area when I look straight into the mirror, that's when I'll stop doing the neck altogether and just stick with the small scragglies on the cheek lines.

It's nice to make it look intentional from the start, but not too early as AngryBeard mentioned. After the neck portion can't be seen, I find it redundant to keep it clean and I'll let the additional hair give more girth to the beard.

2 0 +2
Jtowner
Jtowner Jan 9
I have been pushing my beard up and shaving under it just to keep it from itching and I like shaving still lol so I guess if it doesn't affect length I will continue the trend. Thanks for the input guys!
1 0 +1
AngryBeardCompany
The itch is going to be from beard flake. As the beard gets longer you will get less itch as less hair is actually trying to push through. The more you shave the more often you ill get itch because the hair has to force through the skin using more nutrients from the skin. Tea Tree is good to take care of the itch. I put it in my beard wash along with peppermint to condition, cool and promote growth.

2 0 +2
wiwicks
wiwicks Jan 10

I'm with you Jtowner...I really enjoy shaving too. this is my first time growing a beard, so it's new to me and exciting, but I do seriously miss shaving. I use straight razors as well, and there's just something so clean and dapper about take cold sharp steel to one of the most sensitive areas that EVERYONE sees EVERY DAY. To quell the urge, I indulge in different beard products and I oil my blades once a week. I stropped them and got them all ready for the ensuing hot months to come for when I may shave mine off. I'm thinking of a 6 month beard rotation every year unless I really like the beard at that point, at which I'll be seriously torn. But I do still break out the straights to clean up my lines on my cheeks, eyebrows, and even my chest when im wanting to really spend time with the razor process that I miss. My natural neck line is right where my jaw meets my neck, unfortunately, or I would indulge in my straight to do my neck as well. you're lucky.

1 0 +1
Jtowner
Jtowner Jan 11

Quote from wiwicks

I'm with you Jtowner...I really enjoy shaving too. this is my first time growing a beard, so it's new to me and exciting, but I do seriously miss shaving. I use straight razors as well, and there's just something so clean and dapper about take cold sharp steel to one of the most sensitive areas that EVERYONE sees EVERY DAY. To quell the urge, I indulge in different beard products and I oil my blades once a week. I stropped them and got them all ready for the ensuing hot months to come for when I may shave mine off. I'm thinking of a 6 month beard rotation every year unless I really like the beard at that point, at which I'll be seriously torn. But I do still break out the straights to clean up my lines on my cheeks, eyebrows, and even my chest when im wanting to really spend time with the razor process that I miss. My natural neck line is right where my jaw meets my neck, unfortunately, or I would indulge in my straight to do my neck as well. you're lucky.

I also enjoy using the straight razor and it is pretty new to me I started using a straight razor shortly before growing a beard. I use beard wash, beard cream, beard oil, beard balm, and mustache wax. Not all at once but I like maintaining my facial appearance at least within reason. I used to use shave soap and a boars hair brush to lather up for a shave but now I use pre shave oil instead which I like way more it makes it so easy to define my lines. I like shaving but I really am enjoying my beard. This is my first serious beard. I have always had some sort of facial hair but nothing long. I shaved for my respirator fit test at work then I started growing my beard and requested a racal respirator so I could keep my facial hair. I plan to keep my beard tho regardless of the heat.
0 0 0
wiwicks
wiwicks Jan 12

I'm assuming you're in medical work, then?

0 0 0
Jtowner
Jtowner Jan 12

Quote from wiwicks

I'm assuming you're in medical work, then?

No I work in a metallurgical plant.
0 0 0
Stevebrock
Stevebrock Jan 20
I shave my neck line as well. The thing is if I don't you can't tell where my beard starts and my chest hair begins. Lol. I have been blessed with enough hair I have to manscape all the time. So I shave off from my Adam's apple down to my waist. Happy growing.
1 0 +1
Amazon International Links — Beard Equipment:
United States · Canada · Germany · United Kingdom · France · Italy

Search Beard Profile