Peppermint vs minoxidil | Forum

advertisement

tryingtodotheopposite

Hi Hairies (which is meant to be an affectionate term!  I'm a gal, btw),

I stopped by on your site tonight to post a few ideas, based on my OPPOSITE experience/goals.

I just posted on a different thread a quick note about peppermint, and then I saw that this thread (specifically about peppermint) was the next-most-recently-active thread.

This is what I wrote, just a possible caution:

---------

Regarding the use of peppermint, which I saw highly recommended in one of the articles on this site ( https://www.beardprofile.com/articles/article/34/how-peppermint-essential-oil-can-help-with-beard-growth ):

Make sure you are choosing peppermint to boost your beard, and not spearmint...

I don't know if spearmint has the same effect in men, but in women, spearmint is known to lower androgen levels, and to reduce their beardy facial hair/hirsutism:

---------

a.  "Spearmint tea (Mentha spicata), 1 cup, 2 times per day.

A preliminary study found that women with hirsutism who drank spearmint tea had less free testosterone (a male hormone) in their blood.

The researchers thought the tea might reduce symptoms of mild hirsutism. Another study found that spearmint tea lowered androgen levels in women who had PCOS."

from:  http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=107&pid=33&gid=000081

--------

b.  Phytother Res. 2010 Feb;24(2):186-8. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2900.

Spearmint herbal tea has significant anti-androgen effects in polycystic ovarian syndrome. A randomized controlled trial.

...Free and total testosterone levels were significantly reduced over the 30 day period in the spearmint tea group (p < 0.05).

[...] Patient's subjective assessments of their degree of hirsutism scored by the modified DQLI were significantly reduced in the spearmint tea group (p < 0.05)....

-------------------------

0 0 0
DChris
DChris Jul 6 '19

Wow... you really scared with your first post, though thanks for clearing out admin... :)

0 0 0
s1974
s1974 Sep 10

From what I understand the belief that hairs fall out after stopping MXD is based on scalp hair.  The way I understand it, balding guys lose hair because their body is in a life-long war against their scalp hair, so if you end the MXD the scalp hairs resume being killed.  Facial hairs, on the other hand, just seem like they were never built.  So if MXD builds a facial hair then once it's built it's built.

0 0 0
s1974
s1974 Sep 10

I made a 3% mix of peppermint oil with jojoba, and yes peppermint smells exactly like a candy cane.  Even when diluted to 3% I can still smell it, but I notice that the odor seems to disappear quickly which is good because when you're a fat guy with a bushy graying beard like me I'm not sure if I want it smelling like peppermint.

0 0 0
Rabu
Rabu Nov 19

I'm using around 5% PEO with castor oil, jojoba oil and some drops of cedar essential oil. 2 times per day, morning and evening, after washing face with warm water. I'm 20 years old and I don't know if any grows are just sign of time or PEO is helping, so I'm giving you all link to imgur album where (for today) you can see pics of 8 weeks with PEO.

Using PEO, pics week by week https://imgur.com/a/kxgspmE

0 0 0
Pages: « 1 2 3
Amazon International Links — Beard Equipment:
United States · Canada · Germany · United Kingdom · France · Italy · Spain

Search Beard Profile