Peppermint vs minoxidil | Forum

advertisement

wiwicks
wiwicks Nov 16 '16

Hey everyone,

I was poking around on the article part of the site and read the peppermint essential oil article, and how 3% diluted PEO is more effective and hair growth/promotion than 3% diluted MXD. Now..the thing that I've heard about the "growing products" like MXD and rogaine is that once you stop using it the hair falls out, at least for rogaine. Is this also true for MXD? and if so, would the more effective 3% PEO fall under the same category as far as the follicles stimulated for new growth through application of the PEO will no longer be viable once the treatment as stopped? Or is that follicle permanently activated?

3 0 +3
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Nov 16 '16
Apparently they work via very similar mechanisms, but there's not a lot of research on peppermint essential oil and hair growth, let alone beard growth. If the study is to be believed, then the hair that comes from either minoxidil or PEO will be permanent if it goes terminal.

From everything we know, androgenic hair that has matured fully (coarse and thick, not thin and wispy) is there to stay. Once the follicle has been activated and starts growing out terminal hair, coming off minoxidil means the hair stays. If the hair hasn't been fully matured with time, it's more likely to fall out after a couple of months but it's still possible for it to mature on its own without continued use of minox.

The PEO article, admittedly, was written from one source of information. Even with scientific studies, we sometimes need to take things with a grain of salt until more studies start confirming the same results.

At the end of the day, does PEO work as well as MXD? It's hard to say. I'd personally say no, and not to expect anything extravagant from using peppermint oil. There have been some of us that have thought to have seen new hair sprouting after a couple of weeks of PEO, and there's some legitimacy to it; it is just really hard to verify anything, since all of our info will be anecdotal and there's confirmation bias to think about.

I like the stuff, it makes my face feel nice. I use it from time to time, and thought to have seen some progress with it. It smells nice and generally goes well with other smells. Overall, it's a solid essential oil in my eyes, just don't get caught up in it possibly being a magical beard grower. 

2 0 +2
wiwicks
wiwicks Nov 16 '16

Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't know that MXD would allow the hair to continue to grow/stay after it was not taken anymore, that's neat to know. But, at the same time, I think I'm on the side of MXD beards not being quite "real". I understand why people use it, and wouldn't knock them for it, but I won't be using it, it would feel like cheating every time I looked at it or someone commented on it. I want to be able to claim whatever I do have. If I cannot grow one enough to be considered a man in the jewish communities ( I am not jewish, BTW) then I will just be a peter freakin' pan. lol Thanks for the re-post info.

0 0 0
miguelo
miguelo Nov 20 '16

I'm on a 3% PEO journey to grow my beard, twice a day. I'll give it a try for at least 3-4 months and see what happens. :-)

2 0 +2
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Nov 20 '16

Quote from miguelo

I'm on a 3% PEO journey to grow my beard, twice a day. I'll give it a try for at least 3-4 months and see what happens. :-)

Great, let us know if it makes a difference!
1 0 +1
miguelo
miguelo Nov 20 '16
sure :-) 
2 0 +2
miguelo
miguelo Nov 21 '16
I will be posting week by week my journey here:

http://miguelosbeard.tumblr.com

edited by miguelo Nov 21 '16
2 0 +2
miguelo
miguelo Jan 23 '17
After 9 weeks for me is enough to say that PEO mix oil is just a great moisturizer and nothing else. I did not see any improvement on my beard growth. Because of that I'm going to start a journey on MXD just like @Cemmos and I hope to have good results just like him. Cheers :-)

http://miguelosbeard.tumblr.com

2 0 +2
dwab38
dwab38 Feb 7 '17
I have slight concerns about this topic. I just started using a "growth oil". I started more out of curiosity than necessity but I wanted to see what happened. If I understand correctly if I continue to use the product and then stop it's possible for some hair loss in my beard? Is that correct? That is my concern. I might just stop using it now. 
2 0 +2
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Feb 7 '17

Quote from dwab38 I have slight concerns about this topic. I just started using a "growth oil". I started more out of curiosity than necessity but I wanted to see what happened. If I understand correctly if I continue to use the product and then stop it's possible for some hair loss in my beard? Is that correct? That is my concern. I might just stop using it now. 
If hair is terminal, it's generally there to stay unless you have alopecia barbae. Unless the product you're using contains a bunch of anti-androgens, it likely won't help or hinder your beard, it'll be good for moisturizing and keeping the hair soft and healthy.
0 0 0
dwab38
dwab38 Feb 7 '17
Thanks for the information. I already use a normal beard oil and beard balm so if the "growth" oil isn't going to help it grow longer I will probably stop using it as I already use those other things to keep it soft moisturized and healthy. 
1 0 +1
thhd3
thhd3 Apr 3 '17
Hello, I have a doubt, how peppermint oil can help in circulation if it is said vasoconstrictor and the minoxidil is vasodilator? Help me!
1 0 +1
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Apr 3 '17

Quote from thhd3 Hello, I have a doubt, how peppermint oil can help in circulation if it is said vasoconstrictor and the minoxidil is vasodilator? Help me!
This is isn't the first time I've heard the opposite. Where is it that some individuals are seeing that PEO is a vasoconstrictor? From what I know, it's a vasodilator due to its high composition of menthol.

It also seems to bring hair into a state of anagen, similar to that of minoxidil. Vasodilation isn't the primary reason MXD works, I believe, just one of them.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026286216301753

2 0 +2
AngryBeardCompany
AngryBeardCompany Apr 3 '17
Once you get to certain point where the hair has grown and turned terminal, the likelihood of it helping your grow along is really limited to genetics, and nutrients. Most growth stuff out there is to help the beard "show up" so to speak. Once its there its really just a good habit of nutrition, exercise and keeping it oiled that will facilitate a solid grow.

Quote from dwab38 I have slight concerns about this topic. I just started using a "growth oil". I started more out of curiosity than necessity but I wanted to see what happened. If I understand correctly if I continue to use the product and then stop it's possible for some hair loss in my beard? Is that correct? That is my concern. I might just stop using it now. 

0 0 0
Vpnrt
Vpnrt Jul 1 '17
A 5% peppermint essential oil (PEO) in a carrier oil works excellent! I did a three year study on my beard and it bushed into a tumble weed. :)) The study used 3% PEO, but other references suggest that 5% is the upper limit for skin application.
Unlike Minoxidil, the hair growth continues after stopping the use of PEO.
edited by Vpnrt Jul 2 '17
0 0 0
Sparks99
Sparks99 Jul 3 '17
If I understand what's been said so far, the menthol in the PEO is one of the reasons it helps. I put up a previous post regarding thunder bugs in the Uk and Cemmos recommended Lemon Eucalyptus oil. Will this have a similar effect over a period of time? I wouldn't want to stop using it at winter time when the bugs die off and have beard hair fall out en mass.
0 0 0
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Jul 3 '17

Quote from Sparks99 If I understand what's been said so far, the menthol in the PEO is one of the reasons it helps. I put up a previous post regarding thunder bugs in the Uk and Cemmos recommended Lemon Eucalyptus oil. Will this have a similar effect over a period of time? I wouldn't want to stop using it at winter time when the bugs die off and have beard hair fall out en mass.
Nothing should cause facial hair to fall out (aside diseases and skin conditions, of course). I wouldn't worry about it.
1 0 +1
AngryBeardCompany
AngryBeardCompany Jul 6 '17
Just to reinforce what Cemmos said, There isn't and essential oil out there that should make your beard fall out. When you start using "essence" and "fragrance Oils" that's a different story. They aren't meant for making beard oil and are usually packed with chemicals that can damage your beard. The causal effect of the PEO is important. The menthol increase poresize and blood flow which leads to growth. When you stop using PEO the only thing you lose is the accelerated growth, but it won't harm you to stop.
1 0 +1
CaptainJacksCo
CaptainJacksCo Aug 29 '17
I have not had any experience with PEO as of yet. After joining Beard profile is when i first learned of the potential benefits of PEO. From reading this thread it seems that it will help with new growth, but as for getting your large beard to grow faster and longer doesn't seem like PEO is the way to go, is this correct?

I just want to make sure that i am reading it all correctly. I have had no problem growing my beard, however now i feel like its not going anywhere. About 3 weeks ago i trimmed about 1/4" off but normally by now i can tell a difference in length but I'm not noticing anything. It seems that for my beard to really grow and flourish it all depends on my diet and exercise along with my beard care routine, right? 

what other benefits does PEO have when it comes to beard and the skin under it?

Attachments:
  20170611_095118.jpg (866Kb)
0 0 0
michaelb
michaelb Sep 12 '17
how do you even make 3%-5% PEO? i was looking all over the google to find some information about it.

there are only normal PEO. can someone explain?

2 0 +2
Pages: 1 2 3 »
Amazon International Links — Beard Equipment:
United States · Canada · Germany · United Kingdom · France · Italy · Spain

Search Beard Profile