First beard at 35 | Forum

advertisement

Topic location: Forum home » Beard Forums » Beard Discussions
Babydavid3
Babydavid3 Jan 23
Hi all, I am newbie here.
Per my username, I have been known as baby David since I was 16. At 35 I’m trying to change that and grow a beard. These are pictures of me with one weeks growth. Appreciate any feedback, do I have potential or should I just sack it off now?

Cheers
0 0 0
bdshannon
bdshannon Jan 26
I think a stache goatee combo would suit you if full beard isn’t achievable.
0 0 0
Babydavid3
Babydavid3 Jan 29
Below are some photos 2 weeks in. Still slow in the cheeks, but what I do have is growing.

Is there anything I can do at this stage to keep it neat and tidy? I work in a professional office and am concerned the homeless look isn’t a good one. If the growth was even I wouldn’t be concerned, but as you can see it isn’t.

Appreciate any feedback.

Dave
0 0 0
bdshannon
bdshannon Jan 30
From my experience the way to go is to let it grow for the first few months. Trimming early on only negates achieving a full look.
0 0 0
bdshannon
bdshannon Jan 30
Why not strive for a van Dyke style? You have decent stash and chin/neck. That’s what I’m working on. Also a neater look if you are in an office setting. Just my opinion.
0 0 0
AngryBeardCompany

You can't honestly make any decisions until you hit at least 90 days to 6 months. That should give you the best idea of what you're dealing with genetics wise. Just remember patience is the only product you can't put in your beard to make it grow. Dump the  Razor and commit to a beard. If you aren't in it  For the long game don't bother Trying for a full beard and just go with a goatee or a Vandyke

1 0 +1
Babydavid3
Babydavid3 Feb 5
So, here’s some photos 3 weeks in since I was clean shaven. I have shaved in a neckline to help keep things today. I think it is in about the right place.

I know I am probably being over critical, but sometimes I look in the mirror and think I see progress, and other times think I should just give up now.

I am determined to keep going to the 13 week mark, but would really like to know if anyone has examples of a success story from similar humble and patchy beginnings like mine.

To make matters worse, some who is 15 years younger than me at work has started growing a beard. He is only two weeks in and has full coverage with great density. Frustrated is not the word.

Any way, let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Dave
0 0 0
Babydavid3
Babydavid3 Feb 7
Hey guys, I have a question regarding the 12-13 week initial growth period. As you can see from my latest photos at three weeks, I have very weak growth in the cheeks, and reasonably low density all over. Why is waiting 3 months going to change anything? If the hair isn’t growing now, what’s going to change that over the next 10 weeks?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I’m an engineer and my mind works in a very logical way. I don’t understand the logic of waiting. Surely if the hair follicles are there then they would sprout immediately after I stopped shaving?

Cheers guys, appreciate the support - Dave
0 0 0
Eraser
Eraser Feb 11

1. Hair on different areas grow at different rates. So you can't see your beard's potential after a few weeks of growing.

2. As the hairs begin to get longer they start to cover patches. It's something like a comb over for balding men.

Of course, if the patches are huge they won't fill. Anyway, you'll never know how your bead could look if you won't give it a try. It will do you no harm, except looking like a hobo for a few months.

0 0 0
Babydavid3
Babydavid3 Feb 12
Hey guys,
So here we are - 4 weeks since the last shave. New pictures below.

You can still see the cheeks are weak, but I think I can see progress.

My question for this week - what can I do to encourage the hairs to go flat to my face instead of being perpendicular? I have a brush and use oil. Not sure if there is anything else I can do with the hair still being short and sparse.

Appreciate the ongoing support.

Dave
0 0 0
Amazon International Links — Beard Equipment:
United States · Canada · Germany · United Kingdom · France · Italy · Spain

Search Beard Profile