Beard Balm vs Beard Oil | Forum

advertisement

Rinalds
Rinalds Jan 24 '16
What's your opinion on this? 

"Beard Balm and Beard Oil are two very similar products that can achieve similar results, or different results. A beard oil is a conditioning product that you apply and leave in to soften a beard, help it smell great, and minimize dry skin and flakiness. 

A beard balm can be a conditioning product like a beard oil, or it could also be a sculpting product which will help tame the beard and give it shape. With a conditioning balm you'l get slightly more control than a beard oil because it's a butter based product. Butters are like shea butter, cocoa butter, or mango butter. 

"

edited by Rinalds Jan 24 '16
0 0 0
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Jan 24 '16
I generally switch between both! If I had to choose one between the two, I think I'd overall go with the balm for the slight hold that it gives — it kind of locks the beard into place, letting the style hold without a lot of flyaway hair.

My absolute favorite so far has been one called Mr Rugged (mostly due to the scent). It's kind of pricey but I think I got it when it was a bit cheaper. The stuff smells fantastic, a bit sweet, and the hold and shine is perfect for my beard. So many other oils and balms out there that I love though, it's hard to decide which to use each day.

There are some nice tips in this video while I'm typing this! Beardbrand seems to know what they're talking about, from the few videos I've seen.
edited by Cemmos Nov 2 '16
0 0 0
ChrisA
ChrisA Jan 27 '16
I have never used either balms or oils, but after reading this, I`m sure to check some brands out.
1 0 +1
Jonzz
Jonzz Jan 27 '16
After checking out Mr.Rugged, I think it is one of the best, myself. It has everything that is good and healthy for your beard in one package. Definitely highly recommended.
0 0 0
AngryBeardCompany
AngryBeardCompany Jun 30 '16
I use both at the same time. I have a curly beard so it needs a fair amount of control, which is where I use balm first then end with oil.
edited by AngryBeardCompany Jun 30 '16
Attachments:
  20160129_232443a.jpg (509Kb)
1 0 +1
poppy
poppy Oct 31 '16
I have a related question. I alos love both oils and balms. But I also will often use a wax because I too have curly beard hair and it needs taming. If im using a combination of oil, balm, wax...which product should go on first and which one should go on last....does it matter?
1 0 +1
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Oct 31 '16

Quote from poppy I have a related question. I alos love both oils and balms. But I also will often use a wax because I too have curly beard hair and it needs taming. If im using a combination of oil, balm, wax...which product should go on first and which one should go on last....does it matter?
I would personally: wash and pat-dry beard with cotton towel, to the point where it's still a bit damp. Then apply a few drops of oil, then the balm, and finish off with the wax. The oil will be easier to get deeper into the beard and spread, the balm will help set and coat the beard, and the wax is the final styling step to get it 'just right.'
0 0 0
poppy
poppy Oct 31 '16
Fantastic! Thanks for the quick reply and clear direct advice.
0 0 0
poppy
poppy Oct 31 '16
And thanks for the welcome, I love this forum already!!
0 0 0
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Oct 31 '16

Quote from poppy And thanks for the welcome, I love this forum already!!
Great to hear! Glad to have ya on board.
0 0 0
Harv1000
Harv1000 Nov 2 '16
I have a short for now, pretty unruly beard and I use beard butter. I don't get much sculpt but it does condition nicely and gets rid of the itch. I'm about to go back to work (I posted about this in the general forum) and don't want to shear back to short so I'm going to try wax. I get oil when I get my hair and beard trimmed and it smells great but doesn't do much for sculpting.

As an aside, the butter is great if, after you do your beard, you want to tame some crazy head hair
1 0 +1
Cemmos Team
Cemmos Nov 2 '16

Quote from Harv1000 I have a short for now, pretty unruly beard and I use beard butter. I don't get much sculpt but it does condition nicely and gets rid of the itch. I'm about to go back to work (I posted about this in the general forum) and don't want to shear back to short so I'm going to try wax. I get oil when I get my hair and beard trimmed and it smells great but doesn't do much for sculpting.

As an aside, the butter is great if, after you do your beard, you want to tame some crazy head hair
Beard butter is amazing. I've only tried one so far from Maestro's Classic, but it's been one of my favorite beard products to use. I agree that it doesn't give the hold that a balm or beard wax would, but it definitely helps with dryness. And the particular brand I got smells amazing.

I'm almost out, but I've been thinking about picking up some more. Not sure if I'll go for the same brand, or switch it up and shop around online for a different butter.

0 0 0
Harv1000
Harv1000 Nov 2 '16
Mine is from Urban Beard. Moisturizer like texture and minty smell and feel. Pleasant tingle when applied. Just to reiterate, it won't tame strays. To me it's a moisturizer first. I think if I had a few inches of growth it would be more apparent in effectiveness. I'm in the one inch grey zone right now so I'm going to try some light wax.
0 0 0
emmaclark07
emmaclark07 Jan 12 '17
I prefer Beard oil more than Beard balm. If you want soft and stylish beard then you must have to use proper oil for that. Each and Every oil is not made for beard. I think argan oil is best for beard. Try it let me know what you have experienced with argan oil.
0 0 0
wiwicks
wiwicks Jan 15 '17
If you guys want some quality stuff, shoot cemmos or angry beard a PM, they are the experts. 
0 0 0
Beardicure
Beardicure Jan 17 '17
I actually wrote an article on this, distinguishing the difference between beard balm, beard oil, and beard wax. YOu can see it here: https://beardicure.com/beard-balm-oil-wax/
0 0 0
Horsfield2001
Horsfield2001 Jan 18 '17
When I first started to grow my beard out all I needed was oil. At some point the my beard hairs started to rebel and grow in whatever direction the felt like. I have since switched to a balm and not only is there a more even and deeper hydration The Beard Hair Rebellion (tm) seems to be over.
0 0 0
kendraallen
kendraallen Jan 2

my vote goes to beard oil because it is most popular and viral now a days recently i found the list of some best beard oil with reviews and tested hope it will help you https://thefashionupdates.com/best-beard-oil/

0 0 0
Amazon International Links — Beard Equipment:
United States · Canada · Germany · United Kingdom · France · Italy · Spain

Search Beard Profile